Monday, November 14, 2011

Fixing a dented header pipe

A couple weeks ago I bought a Fiesta 4->1 GT class race header.  It has some surface rust and a couple big flat spots at the bend on the 2 lower pipes.  The flat spots would constrict the exhaust on the 2 cylinders by at least 1/2, so it need to be fixed.  I asked some of my hotrod friends at work for advice, and got a number of recommendations, including heating and and pounding them out with a large diameter round rod ground down to a dome, to getting some new, bent pipes, and replacing sections via cut and weld.  The most interesting suggestion was to fill it with water and pop it in the deep freeze...  Anyone who has forgotten a can of beverage in the freezer knows the principal behind what happens next.  In fact I have dark slush at the bottom of my deep freeze from just such an incident.  Sure, lets give it a try, nothing to loose.

...12 hours later, magically they popped right out.  There are still some creases  in the metal, so I am thawing and trying another go tonight to try and smooth those out as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment